Were you recently hit by a distracted driver in Los Angeles, CA? Contact the Los Angeles car accident lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate assistance. You may have the right to substantial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and suffering. Our lawyers can help you maximize your recovery.
At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, we put more than 100 years of combined experience behind every case. Our top-rated litigators have helped clients win over $400 million in compensation. We’re here to help you during your time of need, too.
Contact our law office in Los Angeles, California, or call (877) 300-4535 to speak with a member of our team about your case. We’re standing by to take your call right now.
How M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Distracted Driving Accident in Los Angeles
Driver distraction is an increasingly common cause of motor vehicle accidents in Los Angeles and across the nation. However, proving that another driver was distracted can be difficult. At the same time, you’ve got injuries to deal with and finances to worry about. This isn’t the time to split your focus and take on a distracted driver or their insurance company.
That’s where our Los Angeles car accident attorneys can help.
M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers has been an advocate for crash victims in Los Angeles since 2013. Our personal injury attorneys have more than a century of combined experience and have won hundreds of millions for clients just like you.
When you choose our award-winning team to handle your car accident case, we will:
- Investigate the crash to determine if driver distraction was the sole cause or if there were other contributing factors
- Gather evidence to prove that another driver’s habit of driving while distracted caused your crash and injuries
- Bring in distracted driving accident experts as we build and value your case
- Negotiate with other parties and insurance companies on your behalf
If you’re not offered a fair deal, our respected Los Angeles distracted driving accident attorneys will be ready to take your case to court.
Contact us today to learn more about your legal rights. Our personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles will be here to help you fight to get every cent you deserve.
How Common is Distracted Driving?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), roughly 280,000 people are injured in distracted driving car accidents every year. In 2020, statistics showed that at least 3,142 people were killed in traffic accidents involving distracted drivers.
Other common car accidents in Los Angeles include:
What is Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving is more than just texting or talking while behind the wheel. Distracted driving includes all behaviors that take your eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, or mind away from the task of driving.
These are known as visual distractions, physical distractions, and cognitive distractions, respectively.
Common types of driver distraction include:
- Texting and driving
- Talking on a cell phone or using apps while driving
- Reaching for an object on the floor or in the backseat
- Having a conversation with passengers in the car
- Eating or drinking
- Applying makeup
That’s right – something as simple as daydreaming or getting lost in thought is considered a driver distraction. Imagine that you’re thinking intently about a meeting you’re headed to or a job interview that you just left. Your mind is way more focused on that than the traffic and your surroundings. In turn, the risk of an accident increases substantially.
Does California Have Any Distracted Driving Laws?
Yes. In California, it’s illegal to hold a cell phone while driving. Why? Sending a text can take your eyes off of the road for about five seconds. In that span of time, you could travel 100 yards – roughly the equivalent of a football field – while driving 55 MPH.
So, in an effort to keep drivers more focused on driving safely, California law limits how cell phones can be used in a vehicle.
Cell phones can be used but must be controlled by a hands-free device. They must also be mounted, and there are only certain places where a phone can be placed.
Once a phone is mounted, you’re allowed to touch the screen to disable or disable a feature – but nothing else. This means that you can’t physically manipulate the phone to send a text, take a photo, or use an app.
What Should I Do If I Get Into an Accident With a Distracted Driver in Los Angeles?
Here are a few ways to protect yourself (and increase the odds of a successful lawsuit) after getting into a distracted driving car accident in Los Angeles:
- Report the accident: you’ll want a police or crash report to support your case
- Take photos: document the scene of the crash, property damage, and injuries
- Get names of witnesses: witnesses can help to confirm that the at-fault driver was, in fact, distracted
- Request video footage of the accident: your accident (and the distracted driver) might have been caught on tape by a red light camera, surveillance cameras at local businesses, or even smart doorbells on residential homes
And, speak with a lawyer. Don’t take on everything by yourself. Increase the odds of winning by hiring a lawyer to represent you.
What Do I Have to Prove to Win a Distracted Driving Accident Case in California?
Ultimately, you have the burden of proving that the distracted driver was negligent.
This means establishing:
- They owed you a duty of care (a responsibility to drive safely and follow traffic laws);
- They breached this duty (by texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in some other type of distraction);
- They caused you to get hurt (if they weren’t distracted, there wouldn’t have been an accident); and
- You’ve suffered damages as a result.
Cases like these can be complicated. It can be tough to prove that another driver wasn’t paying attention. Our Los Angeles distracted driving accident lawyers know how to help you win. You have a limited time to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, so contact us for help today.
Put yourself in the best position to win your car accident injury case. Whether you’re fighting an insurance company or going after a distracted driver, call M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers for help. Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers will work tirelessly to prove your case, help you win, and maximize your financial recovery.
Call our Los Angeles, California law firm now to get started with your free consultation.
Additional Car Accident Resources