The lack of oxygen caused by drowning can result in severe brain injuries. An individual can sustain permanent impairments because of brain injuries from drowning in LA. They could require long-term nursing care and personal care.
Our Los Angeles brain injury lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers have over 100 years of legal experience handling personal injury cases. Our award-winning personal injury attorneys have recovered over $400 million in jury verdicts and settlement awards for our clients.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with one of our brain injury attorneys in Los Angeles, CA. at (877) 300-4535. We want to help you receive the money you deserve after a tragic brain injury caused by drowning.
How Our Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyers Help You With Your Injury Claim
Just over 8,000 nonfatal drownings occur in the United States each year. A person can drown in as little as an inch or two of water. Even though these nonfatal drownings do not result in death, it does not mean a person fully recovers.
When a brain injury from drowning occurs because of another party’s negligence, intentional tort, or other wrongdoing, they can be held liable for the injured person’s damages. At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, our Los Angeles brain injury attorneys fight to get victims and their families compensation for their damages.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Conduct an independent investigation to determine the cause of the near-fatal drowning
- Identify the parties responsible for the factors that led to the drowning
- Review insurance coverage and file insurance claims
- Gather evidence proving causation and fault
- Document your damages and injuries, including working with medical experts and financial professionals
- Fight allegations from the defenses that you failed to mitigate damages or you are guilty of contributory fault
- Negotiate for a settlement that compensates you for all damages
- File a lawsuit and argue your case in court if that is necessary to protect your right to fair compensation
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced drowning injury lawyers in Los Angeles, California.
What Are the Consequences of Brain Injuries From Drowning?
When your brain does not have oxygen, the brain cells are damaged and can die within just a few minutes. If you survive the drowning, you could sustain permanent brain injuries. Hypoxic or anoxic brain injury (ABI) is a common type of brain injury from drowning.
Symptoms of brain injuries from drowning include:
- Severe headaches
- Trouble swallowing
- Problems understanding reasoning
- Convulsions and seizures
- Developmental delays in children
- Cognitive impairments
- Poor decision making
- Memory impairments
- Confusion and frustration
- Inability to understand spoken language and/or form words and sentences
- Balance and coordination problems
- Motor impairment
- Lack of bowel or bladder control
- Sleep problems
- Changes in sensory perception
The prognosis for recovery depends on how long the brain is deprived of oxygen. The longer the person was lying in or underwater, the more severe the brain damage from drowning.
Treatment can help with the symptoms and impairments. Individuals can undergo intensive physical, occupational, and other therapies to regain some of their lost functions and abilities.
Holding the Responsible Parties Liable for Damages
Establishing negligence and liability requires that you have evidence proving that the at-fault party:
- Owed you a legal duty of care
- Breached that duty of care
- The breach of duty caused your nonfatal drowning and brain damage
- You sustained damages because the person breached the duty of care
Our legal team analyzes the evidence to determine the factors that led to the drowning. Property owners, homeowners, businesses, government agencies, schools, daycares, and other parties could be liable under premises liability laws or general negligence laws.
The liable party could be responsible for your economic damages, including:
In addition, you could receive compensation for the pain and suffering the brain injury from drowning has caused. Non-economic damages might include a decrease in your quality of life, emotional distress, physical discomfort, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Our attorneys at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers understand that money will not “fix” what has happened to you. It will not reduce your symptoms or undo the permanent brain damage caused by drowning. However, a monetary award can help provide the care you need and provide for your family’s needs if you cannot work.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyers
Brain injuries may be mild to traumatic. However, regardless of the severity of the brain injury, you deserve to be compensated for your losses and damages. At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, we fight to protect your rights while providing guidance and support as you try to get your life back after a tragic brain injury from drowning.
Call us to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with one of our experienced Los Angeles brain injury attorneys.