Burns can cause excruciating pain, limit mobility, and even result in death. If you or a loved one has suffered an avoidable burn injury in Los Angeles, California, it’s important to consider your legal rights. You could be entitled to compensation, and the Los Angeles burn injury lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Our law firm has been a fierce advocate for catastrophic injury victims in Los Angeles since 2013. Our team has more than a century of combined experience. And our results speak for themselves: we’ve recovered more than $400 million in successful settlements and jury awards.
Let us take on your fight for compensation for your devastating burn injury. Contact our law office in Los Angeles, CA, or give us a call at (877) 300-4535 to get started and arrange a free, no-obligation case evaluation today.
How M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Get Maximum Compensation For Your Burn Injury
Insurance companies will try to take advantage of your burn injury and the difficult days ahead. They’ll want you to jump to accept an early settlement so that you walk away with less money than you deserve. They’ll rely on strategies based on fear, manipulation, and confusion.
Don’t let them push you around. Level the playing field and call our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers for help.
At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand how important a financial recovery is when you’re dealing with a catastrophic burn injury. Our attorneys also have the experience, resources, and reputation you need to get the win you deserve.
Focus on recovering while our law firm:
- Investigates the accident or incident that caused your burn injury
- Determines why you were injured and how the accident could have been avoided
- Consults with leading accident and burn injury experts
- Handles all conversations with insurance companies and at-fault parties on your behalf
- Gathers evidence to build and strengthen your case for damages
- Defends you against victim-blaming tactics that say you share responsibility for your burn injury
Our goal is to negotiate the best possible settlement for you as quickly as possible. However, we will never sacrifice the quality of our representation or the value of your case for quick cash. If you’re not offered a fair deal, or if an insurance company refuses to negotiate fairly, our respected trial attorneys will be ready to take your case to a jury in Los Angeles County.
Contact our personal injury law firm to get started by arranging your free consultation now.
How Common Are Burn Injuries?
Worldwide, burns are the fourth leading cause of trauma. In the United States, an estimated 1.1 million people require medical treatment for burn-related injuries every year. At least 50,000 people are hospitalized due to the severity of their burns.
Annually, it’s estimated that 4,500 people die as a consequence of burn-related trauma.
That’s 12 fatal burn injuries every day.
What is a Burn Injury?
Burns involve damage to the skin, tissue, muscle, and/or bone that’s caused by exposure to fire, heat, electricity, radiation, or chemicals.
Burn injuries can range in severity, depending on how much of the skin and/or tissue is affected by the trauma.
Classifications of burn injuries include:
- First-degree burns: superficial burns only affecting the outer layer of the skin (the epidermis). Skin tends to appear red in appearance, and it can be painful.
- Second-degree burns: burns affecting the epidermis and the dermis, which is a lower layer of the skin. The site of the burn tends to be red, blistered, and/or discolored.
- Third-degree burns: burns destroying the two outer layers of skin and moving into the tissue underneath. The site of the injury tends to appear white or blackened.
- Fourth-degree burns: burns penetrating into the tissue, muscle, and/or bone. Nerve damage occurs and nerve endings are destroyed, so there is a complete loss of sensation and pain.
It’s important to seek medical attention immediately after sustaining a burn injury in a Los Angeles accident. Prompt medical care can ensure that you do not experience any complications and that the location of the burn does not become infected.
Prompt medical care will also help establish evidence for your burn injury case. You’ll need to prove that your burn resulted from an avoidable accident. Your medical record will be proof of a causal link between the two.
What is My Burn Injury Case Worth?
Burns are often a type of catastrophic injury. In turn, the value of burn injury cases can be quite high.
However, like all other personal injury cases, the value really comes down to a few critical factors:
- What type of burn injury did you suffer?
- How severe is your burn injury?
- What type of medical care and treatment will you require – now and in the future?
- Will your burns result in a permanent disability or impairment?
- Will you be able to return to work?
- How has your earning capacity been affected?
- How much pain are you in as a result of your burn injury?
- How has the trauma of suffering burn injuries affected you?
- What are your out-of-pocket costs?
- Do you share any responsibility for your burns?
- Has your burn injury aggravated any pre-existing conditions?
- Did you take steps to mitigate your burn injury?
It’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Los Angeles about the specifics of your burn injury case. The team at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to listen to your side of the story, assess the facts of your case, and offer some preliminary insight about how much money your case could be worth.
If you decide to move forward with a burn injury claim or lawsuit, our Los Angeles burn injury attorneys will be ready to help you fight for the maximum recovery.
What Compensation is Available to Burn Injury Victims in Los Angeles?
Compensatory damages are available to offset your financial costs (economic damages) and compensate for your pain and suffering (non-economic damages).
Our catastrophic injury lawyers will work tirelessly to secure monetary damages for your:
- Present and future medical bills, such as costs of surgery, skin grafts, or other necessary care
- Lost wages and income
- Chronic pain
- Loss of quality of life
- Nursing care
- Funeral and burial expenses, if a burn results in a family member’s wrongful death
We will also investigate to determine if your burns are the result of another’s malicious or reckless conduct. If we find clear and convincing evidence, our team will pursue punitive damages on your behalf.
I’m Getting Blamed For My Burn Injury – Can I Still Win My Case?
Yes, as long as you’re not assigned all of the blame. In California, there’s a pure comparative fault rule that applies to burn injury cases. Under it, victims aren’t prohibited from recovering compensation if they share some fault for getting hurt. However, their damages are reduced.
Let’s say you’re assigned 30 percent liability for your burn injury. Your financial settlement or jury award will be reduced by 30 percent.
Other parties will try to say that you’re at fault or share blame. The more fault you’re assigned, the less money they’ll be responsible for paying. M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers will stand up and defend you at every turn, working hard to minimize these victim-blaming efforts and maximize your financial recovery.
What Causes Burn Injuries in Southern California?
Any type of traumatic accident can potentially cause burn injuries.
Our Los Angeles burn injury attorneys represent clients who’ve suffered burns as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
Speak with our experienced and respected legal team about your case if you’ve suffered a burn injury through little-to-no fault of your own. Your first consultation is free, so call now.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit If I’ve Suffered a Burn Injury in California?
The standard statute of limitations for burn injury lawsuits in the state of California is two years. The clock begins to run the moment the injury is inflicted, the date it’s reasonably discovered, or the date of the victim’s death (whichever is the latest).
You will forfeit the opportunity to file a civil lawsuit and recover damages if you miss the deadline for your case. So, do not hesitate to call an attorney for help as soon as you can.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Los Angeles Burn Injury Lawyer
Did you recently sustain severe burn injuries in a Los Angeles accident? If so, you may have the right to file a lawsuit and demand compensation for your medical bills, disability, and distress. The experienced Los Angeles burn injury lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Benefit from a team with 100+ years of combined experience that’s won over $400 million in damages for clients like you. Call our law office serving Los Angeles and surrounding areas to get started with an initial case evaluation today. Your first consultation is free, so contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in Los Angeles, CA also provides: