Truck accidents in Culver City, CA, cause catastrophic injuries and wrongful deaths. Truck accident injuries can change a victim’s life forever. Unfortunately, trucking and insurance companies fight truck accident claims instead of paying fair compensation for damages.
Our attorneys at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers have recovered more than $400 million in damages for our clients since starting the firm in 2004. These life-altering awards help our clients get back on their feet after a tragic Culver City truck accident. With more than 100 years of combined legal experience between them, our Culver City personal injury lawyers have the resources, expertise, and skills you want to represent you in a truck accident case.
We get results for our clients. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve. Call (877) 300-4535 now for a free consultation with one of our Culver City truck accident attorneys.
How Our Culver City Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Hurt in a Truck Accident
Whether it is big rigs, semi-trucks, or 18-wheelers involved in accidents, commercial trucks can be dangerous on our roads. The trucks are essential for transporting goods. However, when they are involved in an accident, the occupants of other vehicles suffer the most.
Because of what is at stake, you want a Culver City truck accident lawyer with substantial experience going up against the trucking industry. You also want a lawyer with a proven track record of positive reviews and wins.
In addition to receiving positive reviews from our clients, our Culver City personal injury law firm and attorneys have received numerous awards and recognition. We are members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and our lawyers were included in The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 list. Our law firm has been featured on national and local media outlets, including CNN, Fox News, The New York Times, and MSNBC.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, you can trust we handle all aspects of your case, including:
- Complete an independent investigation to determine the cause of the truck accident
- Identify all parties responsible for causing the truck crash
- File insurance claims and handle all matters related to settling the claims
- Monitor truck accident investigations by state and federal agencies
- Hire top-rated experts in their fields to assist with the case as needed
- Document your damages and calculate how much your truck accident case is worth
- Negotiate for the maximum value of your damages
- File a lawsuit and take the case to trial, if necessary
- Our law firm accepts truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t pay attorney’s fees until we win or settle your case
We put our client’s best interests as the top priority in every case. Contact our law firm to schedule a free case review with a truck accident lawyer in Culver City, California.
What Causes Truck Accidents in Culver City, CA?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) performed a study to look at the causes of large truck accidents. Truck drivers were cited as causing the critical reason for 87% of truck crashes. However, other factors also cause truck accidents.
Common reasons for truck accidents in Culver City include:
- Violations of the FMCSA hours of service rules, which can lead to drowsy and fatigued truck accidents
- Truck drivers operating vehicles under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Dangerous lane changes and turns
- Failure to check blind spots
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Violations of state and federal trucking regulations and safety procedures
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Defective truck parts or systems
- Failing to perform regular inspections and maintenance
- Violating California traffic laws
- Improperly loaded and/or secured cargo
Weather conditions and hazardous road conditions can also contribute to the cause of a truck crash. Additionally, other motorists could contribute to or cause a truck crash.
Identifying all parties who contributed to the reason for the truck accident is crucial. Only those parties can be held liable for your damages.
Common Culver City Truck Accident Injuries
The NHTSA reported thousands of deaths and injuries in truck accidents during 2020. Over 84% of the deaths were people outside of the commercial truck. Roughly 70% of the truck accident injuries were sustained by people not inside the truck.
Common injuries caused by truck accidents include:
The injuries from a truck accident can cause permanent impairments and disabilities. They can also result in a wrongful death. The severity and type of injuries you sustain are significant factors in how much your truck accident case is worth.
How Much Is My Culver City Truck Accident Claim Worth?
The value of a personal injury case depends on the facts and circumstances of the crash and your injuries. Factors that impact how much you might receive for a truck accident claim include, but are not limited to:
- The injuries you sustain in the crash
- The severity of your injuries, including whether they result in disabling conditions or impairments
- The impact your truck accident injuries have on your daily life
- Whether you can return to work or perform any gainful activity
- The amount of economic damages you have incurred
- The strength of the evidence proving another party caused the truck accident
- The parties involved in the case
- The amount of liability insurance coverage that covers your claim
The insurance adjuster and investigator will try to convince you that your truck accident claim is worth less than the value of your damages. The company might use the fact you need money to pressure you into accepting a settlement offer.
Before you accept a truck accident settlement offer, talk with one of our Culver City truck accident lawyers. Our attorneys review the settlement offer and advise whether the offer is fair or a low offer intended to avoid paying the claim’s total value.
What Damages Can I Recover for a Culver City Truck Accident?
Before receiving compensation for damages, you must prove the truck driver, trucking company, loader, shipper, or other party was negligent. Negligence claims require you to prove duty of care, breach of duty, causation, and damages. Once you prove your case, you can demand compensation for all damages you sustained because of the truck accident.
The damages for a truck accident claim include reimbursement of economic damages. Those damages can include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Cost of rehabilitative, occupational, and physical therapies
- Cost of long-term nursing or personal care
- Past and future lost wages, benefits, opportunities, and earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
In addition to being reimbursed for your economic losses, you can receive compensation for your “pain and suffering” damages. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life and quality of life
- Physical discomfort and agony
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Mental anguish
- Disability and impairment
- Emotional distress
You could also be entitled to punitive damages if a jury finds that the at-fault party’s conduct meets the requirements for punitive damages. Juries award punitive damages as a punishment for the defendant’s conduct, but you receive the money awarded for punitive damages.
Contact our Culver City truck accident lawyers for a free assessment to determine how much your truck accident case is worth.
What Happens if I’m Partially To Blame for Causing a Culver City Truck Accident?
California’s contributory fault laws do not bar you from recovering compensation if you are partially at fault for causing the truck crash. However, the law does impact how much money you receive for your damages.
Under contributory fault laws, your compensation is reduced by your percentage of fault for causing the accident. Therefore, suppose a jury said you were 33% to blame for causing the truck accident In that case, your jury award for damages would be reduced by one-third.
The insurance company and trucking company might try to shift the blame for the truck crash to you. The purpose is to avoid liability for the accident and reduce how much they must pay to resolve claims.
Therefore, you should not do anything that could be construed as admitting fault. It is best to avoid talking to the insurance adjuster or other parties until you can talk with our Culver City truck accident attorneys. After you hire our law firm, we handle all communications related to your truck accident case with other parties.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Claims in California?
Most truck accident lawsuits must be filed within two years from the accident date. This deadline might sound like a long time. However, truck accident cases are complex, and it could take more than a year for the investigation to be complete and for you to reach maximum medical improvement.
It is important to remember the two-year deadline has exceptions. The exceptions to the statute of limitations could lengthen the time to file or significantly shorten the deadline. Protect your right to file a lawsuit by contacting M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers immediately after a truck crash.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Culver City Truck Accident Lawyers
You should not try to take on the trucking company and its insurance company alone. Let us use our considerable skills and resources to take on that fight for you. Call now to schedule a free case review with one of our Culver City truck accident attorneys.