Skillful drivers know that before making a left-hand turn in front of traffic, they must always yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and proceed with caution. When drivers don’t follow that rules, severe accidents and bodily injury can occur.
Determining fault without the help of an experienced Los Angeles car crash attorney can be difficult, if not impossible.
Common Causes of Left-Turn Accidents
Car accident attorney Los Angeles California know there are many different causes of left-turn accidents.
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to oncoming vehicles
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving
- Failure to use a turn signal
- Turning with obstructed vision
- Miscalculating the distance of oncoming vehicles
Determining Fault for The Accident
When a left-turn accident occurs, the accident fault usually falls on the driver who made the left-hand turn. Drivers who turn in front of oncoming traffic are supposed to yield the right-of-way before making the turn.
However, some left-turn accidents are not the fault of the driver who made the turn. If the other driver ran a red light or a stop sign or broke some other traffic law, they could be held liable. Under certain circumstances, the other driver can be partially responsible for the accident. Those circumstances include driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, drowsy driving, reckless driving, or distracted driving, among others.
Suppose no evidence to the contrary is available. In that case, the driver who turned in front of oncoming traffic is usually found liable. A car crash lawyer Los Angeles can help determine who is at fault.
Proving Fault in a Left-Turn Collision
Even if another driver is 100 percent at fault for an accident, proving it may be difficult. That’s why it’s essential to consult with a car crash lawyer Los Angeles for help. An experienced personal injury lawyer has the resources to conduct a thorough analysis. Two of the more common crash analysts include accident reconstruction experts and crash investigators. With the help of other experts, personal injury lawyers can help determine fault through one or more of the following methods.
- Reviewing police and medical reports, witness statements, insurance company documents, and any other accident-related materials
- Examining personal and business video camera footage and pictures, personal injury and vehicle damage, and accident site debris
- Investigating weather and road conditions before and during the accident
- Reconstructing the accident based on all available data
How To Avoid Left-Turn Accidents?
The best way to avoid a left-turn crash is always to practice good driving skills.
- Always Use Your Turn Signal – Turn signals are used to warn others what you are doing. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers can’t read your mind. Broadcast your intentions before you act.
- Look Left, Right, and Left – When drivers look twice, they tend to notice things they missed the first time.
- Drive Defensively – You may be the best driver on the road, but other drivers are not. Always assume that other drivers never pay attention and drive as if your life depended upon it.
- Drive the Speed Limit – Motorists who drive too fast for their surroundings get in more accidents than those who operate their vehicles within the speed limit.
- Turn Only When You Can See Clearly – Rain, snow, a dirty windshield, sun in your eyes, or other vehicles can obstruct your vision. Don’t make a turn until you can do so safely.
- Be Prepared to Brake – Preventing a severe accident may be as simple as applying the brakes. Skillful motorists know the dangers of driving and are ready to brake at a moment’s notice.
Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Los Angeles, CA
If you were injured in an accident in Los Angeles, CA or you lost a loved one and you need legal assistance, please contact us to schedule a free consultation. One of our Los Angeles car accident lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers will get in touch with you soon.
We have a proven track record of success, we’ve helped our clients recover more than $100 million in injury settlements and judgments. We understand California accident laws and the complexities of left-turn collisions.