Living in Los Angeles means dealing with lots of traffic and, sadly, car accidents. It can be tough to know what to do after a car accident, especially with insurance and legal issues. That’s where M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers can help. We make these tough steps easier for you with your car accident claims.
Key Points About Car Accident Claims in LA
- Traffic and Who Is At Fault: LA is famous for heavy traffic, leading to many car accidents. In California, the person who caused the accident has to pay for all damages to all persons relating to their negligence. But, finding out who is at fault in LA can be hard.
- Why You Should Report Accidents: It’s very important to tell the police about the accident. This is even more important if someone is hurt or there’s a lot of damage.
- California’s Fault Rule: Sometimes, more than one person is at fault. In California, if you are partly at fault, you might get less money.
- Time Limits in California: You have two years to file a lawsuit for injuries in California.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
- Report Quickly: Tell your insurance about the accident as soon as you can. Waiting can make things more complicated.
- Know Your Insurance: It’s important to understand your insurance policy, particularly coverages relating to bodily injury, medical payments coverage, and property damage. This helps you make good choices.
- Be Careful with Quick Offers: Sometimes, insurance companies offer you money fast. But, these offers might not cover everything. If you are injured, you cannot know the full extent of your damages until you have completed medical treatment and back to being better like you were before the accident.
- How to Talk to Insurance People: Be clear when you talk to them. But, don’t say you are at fault or give too much information before talking to a lawyer. Be very general about your injuries. The insurance company is NOT your friend and will use anything you say against you in any way you can. Also, NEVER provide a recorded statement about your injuries. That will almost always be used against you later on in the case.
Why a Lawyer Is Important
- Legal Knowledge: Lawyers know a lot about LA’s traffic laws. This knowledge is very helpful.
- Talking and Representing: Good lawyers can talk to insurance companies for you and represent you in court. They make sure you get fair money.
- Complex Cases: If the accident is serious, or if someone is very hurt or dies, a lawyer’s help is even more important.
- Reputation: Insurance companies know who the good law firms are and if you retain a good law firm, the insurance companies will know they cannot “low ball” or take advantage of you, and will have to provide fair compensation. An insurance company will almost NEVER provide fair compensation unless you have a lawyer representing you.
What to Do After a Car Accident
- Safety First: Make sure everyone is safe right after the accident.
- Document the Accident: Take photos and get information from others in the accident.
- File a Police Report: This is an official document by a governmental entity that documents everything that happened.
- See a Doctor: Go to a doctor even if you feel fine. Some injuries show up later.
- Talk to a Lawyer: Before you file a claim, talk to a lawyer to know what to do next.
How to Get the Most Money
- Keep Records: Save all information about medical treatments, lost work, and other costs.
- Understand All Your Costs: Think about all your costs, including future medical costs and how the accident has affected you.
- Take Your Time: Don’t hurry to settle. Make sure the settlement covers all your needs.
- Work with Your Lawyer: Your lawyer will help you understand your claim and get the most money.
Calling Us and Next Steps
Dealing with car accident claims in LA means understanding its busy roads, dealing with insurance companies, and getting good legal advice. Your main goal is to protect your rights and health. M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help you. We make sure you get the help and money you need.
Handling a car accident claim is easier with the right help and information. Stay informed, get advice from professionals, and take care of your health and legal rights for the best results. Remember, with the right help, you can handle your car accident claim well. Contact us today to get started.