California is an at-fault state for car accident claims. If another driver causes a car crash, that driver could be liable for your damages. You can file an insurance claim with the driver’s insurance company and file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver.
California requires drivers to have minimum automobile insurance coverage. Liability insurance pays injured victims when the driver causes a car accident. Minimum insurance requirements for California drivers include:
- $15,000 for the bodily injury to one person
- $30,000 for injury to more than one person per accident
- $5,000 for property damage claims
Allstate is a popular insurance company in California. Because many drivers have Allstate insurance, you may need to file a claim with Allstate if you are involved in a car accident.
Steps to Take When You Need to File Allstate Car Insurance Claims in Los Angeles, CA
When you file Allstate auto insurance claims, it helps to remember that all insurance companies try to limit their liability for personal injury claims. Therefore, take steps to protect your right to fair compensation for Allstate insurance claims.
Report the Car Accident to Law Enforcement
California law requires that you report accidents involving injuries or property damage to law enforcement. Calling 911 is the quickest and easiest way to report a car accident.
If it is safe for you to do so, take photographs and make a video of the vehicles and the accident scene. Try to gather contact information from the witnesses.
Remember, never admit fault for the cause of the car accident. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police officer. Allstate will try to use California’s comparative negligence laws and other defenses to deny or undervalue your insurance claim.
Seek Prompt Medical Treatment for Injuries
Do not say that you are not injured at the accident scene. You need to document your injuries with medical records to recover compensation for injuries. Delays in medical care could result in the Allstate insurance adjuster claiming that you failed to mitigate damages.
File an Insurance Claim with Allstate
Notify Allstate about your injury claim as soon as possible. You should be able to use the Allstate Insurance “Report a Claim” feature online to file a claim. If not, you can call Allstate to report an accident by calling 1-800-ALLSTATE.
The copy of the information given to you at the accident scene should have the vehicle owner’s name and insurance information.
- Car accident date
- Location of the car accident
- Names of each driver involved in the collision
- Name of the insured policyholder
- Insurance policy number, if you have it
Allstate should be able to look up the insurance policy by the owner’s information.
Be Cautious When Talking with Allstate About the Accident
It is best to seek legal advice from an auto accident lawyer before talking to an insurance adjuster about the accident. Avoid giving information about the specifics of how the accident happened when you file an Allstate insurance claim.
If you say anything that could be twisted to imply you contributed to the cause of the accident, Allstate will use the information to lower the value of your claim. In addition to never admitting fault for the cause of a crash, other tips for maximizing your recovery for an Allstate insurance claim include:
- Do not use social media or discuss your accident with anyone other than your doctors and your personal injury lawyer
- Avoid talking about the cause of the accident or the details of the crash during medical appointments unless they relate to your injuries and health care
- Follow through with your doctor’s treatment plan
- Document your injuries by taking photographs of the injuries during your recovery
- Keep copies of all medical records, statements, bills, and receipts
- Document lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and other financial losses with receipts, detailed records, and other written documentation
- Never agree to a provide a written or recorded statement or recorded interview without a lawyer present
- Do not sign documents without a lawyer reviewing the documents, including a release for medical records or a settlement agreement
Allstate has a team of claims adjusters, defense lawyers, and investigators protecting its best interest. It has resources to investigate the car accident and gather evidence related to causation, fault, and damages.
You deserve to have someone on your side protecting your best interests. Hiring a law firm to handle an Allstate insurance claim evens the playing field. Accident lawyers have the resources to investigate a car accident claim and fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering and financial losses.
Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Los Angeles, CA
If you were injured in an accident in Los Angeles, CA or you lost a loved one and you need legal assistance, please contact us to schedule a free consultation. One of our Los Angeles car accident lawyers at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers will get in touch with you soon.