In today’s world, social media is a big part of our lives. But, did you know it can affect personal injury cases? At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, we know how social media can change these cases. Let’s talk about its impact and how to handle it.
Social Media’s Role in Personal Injury Cases
Posts on social media can sometimes go against what you say in a personal injury case. For instance, if you say you’re badly hurt but post images or videos of engaging in physical activity, it can weaken your case by hurting your credibility. Defense lawyers and insurance companies often look at social media to find such posts.
Risks of Using Social Media in These Cases
- Posts That Don’t Match Claims: Posts showing you more active than you say can be used against you.
- Posts Taken the Wrong Way: Simple posts might be misunderstood and used to say you’re not really hurt.
- Others’ Posts and Comments: It’s not just your posts but also what others post or comment about you that can be twisted.
How Courts See Social Media Posts
Your social media can be shown in court. Lawyers might use your posts to question your personal injury case claim. Even a simple post can be seen in a way that hurts your case.
Best Ways to Handle Social Media
- Use Less Social Media: Think about using social media less or not at all while your case is going on.
- Check Your Privacy Settings: Make your accounts private, but know that this doesn’t always hide everything.
- Be Careful What You Share: If you’re not sure if a post will affect your case, it’s better to err on the side of caution and not post it.
- Tell Friends and Family: Ask your close ones not to post about you or your case.
Examples of Social Media in Cases
There are many times when social media changed the result of injury cases. Like someone who got less money in a slip and fall case because of their hiking photos on Facebook.
Legal Rules on Social Media
Legally, public posts can be used in court. So, anything you post can be requested by the other side in your personal injury cases.
Tips from M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers
We tell our clients to be very careful with social media, especially in personal injury cases. Here’s what we suggest:
- Think About What You Post: Remember, what you do online can be seen and used in your case.
- Talk to Your Lawyer: If you want to post something, ask your lawyer first if it’s okay.
- Focus on Getting Better: Pay more attention to your healing and follow your doctor’s advice.
- Err on the side of NOT Posting: You only get one chance to bring a personal injury claim so please make it count by not posting anything that may harm your case or eliminating all posts altogether. Remember, people interpret things differently and something you may think is reasonable or consistent may be seen completely differently by someone else or a member of the jury. To be safe, it’s best to not post anything at all.
To Wrap Up
Social media can really impact personal injury cases. It rarely ever hurts and usually harms cases. It’s important to be smart about what you post. Your case and getting better should be your main focus. At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re here to help you through your case. If you’re worried about how social media might affect your case, please contact us for advice.