Car Accident Reimbursement: What Happens If I Lose My Job Due To A Car Accident?

Losing Your Job Due To A Car Accident – What Can You Do?

If another driver causes an accident and you lose your job due to your injuries, you are entitled to recover damages for lost earnings. You are entitled to sue for special and general damages.

Special Damages

Special damages, also called economic damages, compensate you for loss of income or wages, benefits, profits and business opportunities. Special damages and loss of income are payable for the time that you are injured and unable to work, up until the time that you are medically able to go back to work.

General Damages

General damages, also known as non-economic damages, include future lost earnings and earning capacity. To receive compensation for general damages you need to show that if the accident hadn’t happened you would have been able to make a certain amount of money. It isn’t easy to prove how much you would have earned, and that is why you may consider hiring the best car accident lawyers near me in Los Angeles.

Presenting Evidence

To recover damages after losing your job, you will need to prove that the accident-related injuries prevented you from returning to work. Your doctor can submit medical proof of your injuries and show a relationship between your injuries and the accident. Your employer can provide proof that you were fired after a car accident, and that your termination was directly related to your inability to work. Your employer can also provide written documentation of how much you earned while in their employ.

Mitigation of Damages

Even though you may not be able to return to your previous job or the same type of work, you are obligated to find work as soon as you are able. Accident victims have an obligation to minimize (mitigate) loss of income by finding work after doctor approval. If they don’t return to work, and the court determines they were able to work, their monetary damages will be reduced by the amount they could have earned.

Contact M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers 

Have you lost your job due to a car accident and want car accident reimbursement? Consider contacting an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can evaluate your case and help you file a lawsuit. Consider the best car accident lawyers near me in Los Angeles.

Call for a Free Case Evaluation

Contact M&Y Today

Get your free consultation from California’s leading personal injury lawyers!

Get Your Free Consultation

Our professional staff is ready to evaluate your personal injury case!