More people choose Uber and Lyft for safe, accessible travel during holidays. But more rideshare use means more accidents. This straightforward guide from M & Y Personal Injury Lawyers shows you what to do if you are in a rideshare accident in California.
Rideshare is a big part of getting around in California’s cities and suburbs. This has led to more ride-sharing-related accidents, especially during the holiday season.
Since 2011, when these services started, car deaths have gone up by 3% each year. Professor John Barrios’s studies point out how much these services affect this.
Holiday Road Risks in California
The holidays mean more cars on the roads, raising accident risks. In Thanksgiving 2022, California police reported thirty-seven deaths and 8,600 tickets. These accidents change happy times to times of worry and doubt for families. Knowing what to do if there is an accident is a critical step to turn a bad situation around.
Steps to Take After a Rideshare Accident
Right After the Accident
- Check for Safety and Health: First, make sure everyone is okay.
- Call for Help: Get medical help and call the police quickly.
- Gather Info: Write down the rideshare driver’s car and insurance details.
Recording the Accident
- Take Photos: Get pictures of where the accident happened, the car, and injuries.
- Talk to Witnesses: Get contact details of any witnesses.
- Keep Ride Info: Save your ride info from the rideshare app.
What to Know About Rideshare Insurance
Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft have detailed insurance policies. Drivers are considered independent contractors. This means they have to carry rideshare insurance under California law. The “independent contractor” allows Uber and Lyft to distance their company from a driver’s mistake.
Do You Need a Lawyer After an Uber or Lyft Accident?
Dealing with a rideshare accident can be challenging. It may feel overwhelming when you are up against big companies. That is where finding an experienced and trusted lawyer to team up with is essential.
Why You Need a Lawyer:
- Insurance Talks: They know how the insurance companies work. Lawyers can expertly manage talks with them.
- Knowing Your Rights: They ensure you understand your rights and defend you to the fullest extent of the law.
- Getting Compensation: They help get compensation for damage and injuries.
M & Y Personal Injury Lawyers: Helping You
M & Y Lawyers offer expert help and care throughout your case. They know a lot about rideshare accidents and have won similar cases before. They focus on what you need and how you feel.
Contact us at M & Y Personal Injury Law if you are in a rideshare accident. We are here to guide and support you along the way. Call now, or fill out our contact form to get started with a free evaluation.
Our award-winning attorneys have recovered more than $700M to date of this writing for those who have been hurt in automobile accidents.