What Is Wrongful Death? Information and Advice from a Wrongful Death Attorney
Wrongful death can be defined as the death of someone who dies due to someone else:
- intentional or unintentional acts
- wrongful, reckless, act(s)
When a wrongful death occurs it is the basis for a wrongful death lawsuit. Depending up the state in which it occurs, a lawsuit can be brought by heirs, a spouse, children, parents, step-parents, grandparents, or other dependents.
Wrongful death is most often caused by doctors, but can also be caused by reckless drivers, malfunctioning products, unsafe equipment, unsafe property, or any other person or property that is the cause of death. Specific examples include death caused due to:
- airplane accidents;
- physical altercations;
- car, bus, ship and train accidents;
- nursing homes;
- theme park rides;
- gunshot wounds;
- negligent doctors;
- pharmaceutical drugs;
- and many more.
Anytime someone dies through the fault of someone else, there is the potential for a wrongful death case.
Wrongful Death Questions to Ask Your Attorney
Understanding a wrongful death isn’t always easy, and it’s important to contact an experienced and knowledgeable wrongful death attorney for answers.
- My loved one did not die from natural causes and died through no fault of their own. Do you think someone else is responsible for the death?
- As a knowledgeable wrongful death attorney, do you have any experience dealing with this type of wrongful death?
- Can you give me some examples of cases you have handled that are similar to this one?
- Based on what I have told you so far about the death of my loved one, how do you think you would proceed with this case?
- What can you offer me that another wrongful death attorney may not be able to?
- May I ask why you are a wrongful death attorney, rather than another type of attorney who handles law in areas such as real estate or corporate?
- How much time do I have to file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Who will be assigned to my case on a day-to-day basis and how much experience in wrongful death cases does that person have?
- What is the caseload of that attorney and will my case be given enough attention to provide me with the best possible outcome?
- Based on your firm’s extensive experience with wrongful death cases, what do you expect the outcome of my case to be?
- How long do you think it will take to take for this case to either settle or for a court jury to hear and make a decision on it?
If you feel that your loved one suffered a wrongful death, you need to hear all of the facts and calling an experienced and knowledgeable wrongful death attorney is important. Most people don’t have the expertise or resources to research and investigate a wrongful death and should seriously consider contacting someone who does have those resources. A wrongful death attorney who is experienced and knowledgeable with wrongful death cases can help you better understand and navigate the legal process, and obtain compensation for your loss. At M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers we know that there is nothing anyone can do to get your loved one back, but we can ease the financial burden you may suffer without them. For a free consultation, give us a call or contact us.