Questions To Ask A Personal Injury Attorney
Through no fault of your own, you were injured by another person. Your medical bills have been getting stacking up because you can’t afford to pay them, you haven’t been able to work, and your pain is unbearable at times. What do you do about it?
After long and hard consideration, you decide that it is time to contact an attorney. But how do you sort through all of the lawyer’s names on the internet? Well, since you have trouble getting around you think that it would be best to search for “personal injury lawyers near me”.
The search provided you with names but how do you whittle down the list even further. You find that by doing a review search of the attorneys in your area you come up with a list of the ones with the highest ratings and best reviews. You check out their web sites for further information and to see how much money they have made for their personal injury clients. You are now making headway, but you still have unanswered questions.
So, you call up a few of the legal firms to ask the following questions:
- Contingency Fee Basis: I hear that lawyers sometimes work on a contingency fee basis. Do you do that for personal injury cases and how much do you charge?
- Hidden Fees: Are there any hidden fees or costs I should know about, and if so what type of costs might you encounter with my case?
- How many personal injury cases have you had like mine and what were the outcomes?
- In cases like mine, how long could I be waiting for a settlement?
- What is your trial and out-of-court success rate?
- What is the potential compensation for a case like mine?
- Lawyer handling the case: Will an experienced partner or a less experienced associate be handling my case?
- Can you tell me about some of the bigger cases you won for your clients and how they relate to my personal injury?
The answers you obtain from these questions should give you a good idea of how experienced and confident the attorney is. But they are not the only things you should consider before hiring an attorney to represent you.
You need to understand the difference between hiring an attorney and not hiring one. An attorney’s experience and expertise can make the difference between winning a case with a highly favorable outcome, losing the case, or winning it with a less than favorable outcome. Things such as the attorneys physical distance from you, what types of law his firm practices and how often, years in practice, reputation, trial experience, and disciplinary record.
You want to hire a personal injury attorney who has a record of winning cases, the bigger the settlements the better. You don’t want to hire an attorney that charges a lower contingency fee but loses cases or the cases he does win have smaller settlements.
When you think that you have found a personal injury attorney who will do a great job for you, do more research and see if your findings match what other people have said. Contact your county and state bar associations, go to lawyers.com, and google to find out more.
When your life has been turned upside down through no fault of your own due to an accident, it is important that you find the best personal injury lawyer you can. We wish you the best of luck!