What to do if you’ve been injured in a Uber or Lyft Accident.
Whether you are a passenger in the vehicle, a bystander, a pedestrian, or driving your own vehicle, being involved in a car accident with an Uber or Lyft driver can create a lot of chaos. To complicate matters, many personal liability insurance companies don’t cover drivers while using their cars for Lyft or Uber, and the amount of personal coverage those drivers carry is often inadequate. So, which insurance company does the injured person get in touch with, who is responsible, and what should they do?
What Are Uber and Lyft Responsible For Following a Car Accident?
There are various legalities involved during the time of a crash that determine, among other things, the application and extent of insurance coverage. For example, if the driver had the app turned off during the crash, then the ride-sharing companies can say that the driver’s insurance needs to handle the accident. It becomes even more complicated if the driver has the app on in driver mode, but doesn’t have an active ride. Essentially, Uber, Lyft, and the driver’s insurance company will always try to point the finger in another direction which is why it makes complete sense to hire a personal injury attorney that knows the right questions to ask to determine the liability of the responsible parties./
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You after a Car Accident
It doesn’t matter what kind of car accident you’ve been involved in. The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of paperwork and legal work that goes into filing a personal injury claim. The procedural work that is required to file a lawsuit, as well as the deadlines and timeframes can derail your personal injury claim. That especially holds true if you are representing yourself. There are so many complexities when dealing with rideshare companies, including the insurance companies and their mountains of lawyers who try to pay you as little as possible. A personal injury lawyer can minimize your stress and maximize the amount of money paid in a settlement
So, what should you do after being involved in an accident with an Uber or Lyft driver?
- Call the police, or have someone do it for you.
- Take as many photographs as you can of the damage to your vehicle, your own visible injuries, the crash site, and the surrounding area.
- Take photographs of the license plates.
- Get the driver’s name, telephone number, and driver’s license number.
- Get the driver’s insurance policy and the insurance company’s name.
- Write down as many details as you can remember, about the accident, before you become confused or forget.
- Ask if anyone saw the accident and what they observed. Provide their name to the police officer.
- Obtain an accident report from the police department.
After you have all of the information, consider calling a personal injury lawyer or auto accident attorney (they are often one-in-the-same) that specializes in personal injury or automobile accidents.