Hollywood is a popular place to live and visit, offering many residential areas and tourist attractions. From the Hollywood Walk of Fame to various museums and theaters, there is plenty to do and see in this lively neighborhood.
Unfortunately, a fun outing can take a quick turn for the worse if you’re struck by a vehicle while walking, leaving you injured and financially vulnerable. An experienced Hollywood pedestrian accident lawyer can alleviate your stress and fight for the financial recovery you deserve.
The legal team at M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers should be your first call. We have over 100 years of combined experience, and we’ve leveraged it to obtain over $400 million for injured victims throughout Southern California.
You don’t have to figure out the legal process alone after a pedestrian accident in Hollywood, CA. We can explain your options and handle your personal injury case while you focus on healing. Contact our law office today at (877) 300-4535 to schedule a free consultation with our Hollywood accident attorneys.
How Can M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Hollywood, CA?
Car accidents involving pedestrians often result in catastrophic injuries, particularly for the person hit by the multi-thousand-pound vehicle. And even if liability seems clear, insurance companies won’t be quick to offer an equitable settlement.
That’s why you need an experienced Hollywood personal injury lawyer in your corner. We’ll ensure that you receive an amount that fully covers your losses and makes you whole.
If you hire M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers after a pedestrian accident in Hollywood, California, we’ll help by:
- Investigating how the pedestrian accident happened
- Identifying every potentially liable party
- Gathering the evidence needed to prove your case, including traffic camera footage, eyewitness statements, medical records, and more
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters and other parties to reach a fair settlement agreement
- Representing your best interest at trial in Los Angeles County if necessary
If you’re unsure whether you need legal representation or have questions regarding our services, don’t hesitate to contact our law firm. We offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation, so call today to schedule yours.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Hollywood, California?
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety’s most recent statistics, 2,616 pedestrians were injured or killed in the City of Los Angeles (home to Hollywood) in 2020. Sadly, 130 of them were children under the age of 15, and 362 were older adults over age 65.
To make LA roads safer for people walking, LADOT continues to work on improving infrastructure for pedestrians. Planned safety improvements include installing more pedestrian signals, crosswalks, traffic lights, and street lighting.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in Hollywood?
Most pedestrian accidents result from the negligence of drivers. When motorists get behind the wheel of a vehicle, they have a duty to follow traffic regulations and drive carefully. Unfortunately, people don’t always adhere to this duty, and the results can be disastrous.
Hollywood pedestrian traffic accidents often result from:
Not all pedestrian accidents in Hollywood are caused by driver error. For example, a lack of dedicated infrastructure, like crosswalks and sidewalks, and poorly designed intersections can contribute to accidents. Additionally, pedestrians who jaywalk or dart in front of cars can share liability for their resulting injuries.
What Is My Hollywood Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your Hollywood pedestrian injury case will depend on the circumstances of your accident. All accidents involving pedestrians are unique and present a different set of facts.
When we’re calculating your damages, we’ll evaluate factors like:
- The severity of your pedestrian accident injuries and how they affect your quality of life
- The expenses you’ve incurred for medical treatment and personal care
- Your lost wages and whether you can return to work in the same capacity as before the incident
- The level of pain, suffering, and emotional trauma you’ve endured
- Whether you’ve sustained a permanent impairment or disability
- Whether you share any blame for contributing to the pedestrian accident
- The parties involved and available insurance coverage
We understand that you want to know what your case is worth. We can provide a better idea of what to expect once we’ve heard your story and understand all the ways the pedestrian accident has affected your life.
What Compensation Is Available After a Pedestrian Accident in Hollywood?
Hollywood pedestrian accident victims can recover compensation for their financial (economic) and personal (non-economic) losses.
Economic damages incurred after a pedestrian accident might include:
- Medical bills for your hospital stay, treatment, surgery, etc.
- Future medical expenses for follow-up care, physical therapy, rehabilitation, etc.
- Out-of-pocket expenses for childcare, travel, and other miscellaneous costs
- Property damage
- Lost wages and benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
Your non-economic damages might include:
- Pain and suffering
- Chronic pain
- Psychological damage, such as PTSD and anxiety
- Diminished enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
You may also be entitled to punitive damages, but courts only award these damages in extreme cases. You must prove that the defendant consciously disregarded your safety in causing the pedestrian accident, such as if they were driving while highly intoxicated.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Being struck by a motor vehicle while walking can result in severe, life-changing injuries. You may recover after a few weeks or require long-term medical care.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Hollywood can help no matter what type of injuries you’ve sustained, including but not limited to:
If you lost a family member in a fatal pedestrian accident, we can fight to hold the negligent party responsible by filing a wrongful death claim.
I Was Hit By a Car While Walking in Hollywood, CA. How Do I Prove My Case?
If your pedestrian accident resulted from another party’s negligence, you have the burden of proving the following elements:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care. For example, drivers have a legal responsibility to keep pedestrians safe by following traffic laws and driving with caution.
- The defendant breached the duty of care by failing to act reasonably under the circumstances. For example, if they were speeding to beat a red light, they likely breached their duty.
- The defendant’s careless actions directly caused the pedestrian accident. It wouldn’t have happened but for their negligence.
- You’ve suffered damages, such as medical costs and psychological trauma.
To meet your burden of proof and prove your case, you’ll need evidence, such as:
- The police report
- Surveillance footage, photos, and/or videos of the accident
- Medical records and reports
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert witness opinions
- Cell phone data
- Employment records
- Physical evidence
M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers will work to gather all information and evidence needed to prove your negligence claim.
Can I Receive Compensation If I Was Partially At Fault for a Pedestrian Accident in Hollywood, California?
As long as you weren’t entirely responsible for the Hollywood pedestrian accident, you can pursue a claim. However, under California’s pure comparative fault rule, your level of negligence will proportionally reduce your awarded damages.
For example, suppose the court assigns you 50% of the blame for your pedestrian crash. You will only be entitled to half of your awarded compensation.
If you’re being blamed for a pedestrian accident in Hollywood, CA, it’s essential to consult an attorney as soon as possible. This is a common tactic insurance companies use to reduce their financial responsibility, and they don’t always have proof to back up their allegations. We’ll push back and ensure you take home an amount that’s fair.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in California?
Under California law, the statute of limitations typically gives you two years from the pedestrian accident date to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file your case within this timeframe, you’ll lose your right to hold the responsible party financially accountable for your losses.
Reach out to our Hollywood personal injury attorneys for immediate assistance to preserve your rights.
Schedule a Free Case Assessment With Our Hollywood Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Hollywood, CA, you might be able to hold the driver or another at-fault party responsible for your medical bills and other losses. Legal representation is your best chance at securing the best outcome.
Contact M&Y Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss what happened and how we can help. We offer a free case evaluation and work on contingency, so there’s no risk involved. Our legal team is available 24/7, so call our pedestrian accident attorneys in Hollywood for assistance.